Leadership is always challenging, but especially in difficult times of disruption like we are experiencing now.
In many ways, leaders have responded extremely well to the challenges of leading remote teams and adjusting to new business situations. Brandon Hall Group’s ongoing COVID-19 research shows that about two-thirds of organizations give leaders high marks for inclusive leadership behaviors such as:
- Kindness, patience and genuine interest and curiosity about the well-being of others
- Adapting and persevering in the face of challenges
- Caring and well-being of employees
- Empathy, listening and understanding others
As organizations forge return-to-work plans, those are critical behaviors, our research shows, because employers’ top two HR priorities are assessing employee well-being and fostering an inclusive workplace.
However, driving employee engagement ranks a very close third, and leader behaviors that drive engagement — collaborating with team members, recognizing good work, coaching and mentoring, managing uncertainty and inspiring others – receive lower ratings, according to the research.
Improving those competencies requires the ongoing, blended training that organizations always struggled with. So, the timing of Skillsoft’s Aspire Journeys for Leadership Development – announced June 29 – is perfect. Its integrated curriculum and resources make it easy for organizations to empower leaders with the digital leadership skills and competencies needed to thrive in this business environment. These Aspire Journeys are part of the Skillsoft Leadership Development Program (SLDP) powered by MIT Sloan Management Review.
There are nine journeys within three focus areas:
- Core skills, featuring 10 competencies all leaders need, including coaching, team leadership, agility and team leadership. (Available now)
- Leaders in Transition, focusing on skills managers need when preparing to move from one level to another. (Available now)
- Digital Mindsets, focusing on behavioral and technical competencies leaders need to help their organizations thrive as evolve into a modern digital organization. (Coming soon)
Our research shows that five of the top six learning priorities over the next several months are related to leadership – including developing existing leaders, emotional intelligence, coaching and mentoring, high-potential leader development and leadership specific to teams.
Skillsoft’s Aspire Journeys address all those areas – and much more. The offering provides:
- A clear path to leadership
- Future-ready leaders
- On-the-job application
- Expert insights from the MIT Sloan Management Review and globally diverse thought leaders and faculty from top-ranked business schools.
Practical application of these competencies is critical, and Aspire Journeys are built upon scenario-based video courses that reinforce learning. The program empowers leaders to make meaningful behavior changes to improve their effectiveness and help their team members and the entire organization.
Brandon Hall Group’s interviews with more than 100 organizations show that employers and leaders have responded extremely well to the challenges of the coronavirus pandemic. Resources like Aspire Journeys for Leadership Development enable organizations to build on that foundation to help leaders deliver on their potential.
-Claude Werder, Senior Vice President and Principal HCM Analyst, Brandon Hall Group
We are a human capital management research and advisory firm with more than 10,000 clients globally. For over 25 years, we have been delivering research-based solutions that empower excellence in organizations around the world. Our vision is to inspire a better workplace experience. Becoming a Brandon Hall Group member means our team joins your team. Membership provides a host of resources and services and – most importantly — a seasoned team of thought leaders and client support professionals dedicated to your success.