Artificial intelligence is less of a specific application of technology and more of a marketing slogan in the learning technology market. Just about every LMS, LXP, or other platform claims that it features AI — but not everyone is sure what it is or does. So many buyers simply put it on their list of requirements with no idea how it functions. But obviously, AI is having an impact on almost every technology we touch.
I’m no computer scientist, so I tend to look at it in relatively simple terms. Imagine you want to get from Point A to Point B and it’s too far to walk. You could leverage Augmented Intelligence by using a tool like Uber or Lyft to connect you with a nearby driver who can make the trip. You could also leverage machine learning by driving yourself, using a GPS app that tells you the best route and traffic conditions in real-time. Or maybe sometime in the not-too-distant future, you could leverage Artificial Intelligence and have a car drive you there autonomously, using everything it knows about the route and making decisions based on the millions of data inputs it is collecting along the way.
That’s the key difference between machine learning and artificial intelligence. ML is how machines get smarter and make recommendations based on what they learned over time. With AI, the machine will decide for you.
The role of AI in learning and development
This is what we need more of in learning technology. Yes, recommendations for learners are important and help scale personalized learning, but AI takes it to the next level.
Brandon Hall Group Platinum Preferred Provider Docebo declared themselves an AI company years ago and has delivered on that statement ever since.
Docebo has leveraged learning-specific algorithms to progressively reshape its learning tech core by expanding its scope and power by learning as they go. These algorithms have various roles; there’s one for content analysis and comprehension, or for suggestions, another for auto-tagging and one that analyzes social conversations.
Some of the ways that Docebo leverages AI include:
- AI-Powered Deep Search. Docebo’s AI analyzes learning content of any nature, understanding and categorizing keywords to make content easier to discover.
- Auto-Tagging. The AI analyzes all learning content, automatically identifying keywords and creating tags, making it easier to link content that learners’ interests and development paths.
- Learner Suggestion. An AI algorithm automatically generates a list of learners who engaged and demonstrated interest in similar content, allowing users sharing an asset to target those who will value it most.
- Upskilling and Reskilling. Personalized learning that automatically adjusts in real-time based on business and learner needs.
- Virtual Coaching. Similar to asking Alexa or Siri to complete a task or answer a question, Docebo’s virtual coach can provide information, guidance or advice and provide it to you in an instantaneous, personalized manner.
All of this powers Docebo’s ability to deliver the kind of learning experiences learners want and businesses need, at any scale.
–David Wentworth, Principal Learning Analyst, Brandon Hall Group
About Brandon Hall Group Inc.Brandon Hall Group is the only professional development company that offers data, research, insights and certification to Learning and Talent executives and organizations. The best minds in Human Capital Management (HCM) choose Brandon Hall Group to help them create future-proof employee development plans for the new era. For over 28 years, we have empowered, recognized and certified excellence in organizations around the world influencing the development of over 10,000,000 employees and executives. Our HCM Excellence Awards was the first to recognize organizations for learning and talent and is the gold standard, known as the “Academy Awards of Human Capital Management.” Our cloud-based platform delivers evidence-based insights in the areas of Learning and Development, Talent Management, Leadership Development, Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition and HR/Workforce Management for corporate organizations and HCM solution providers. To learn more, visit https://www.brandonhall.com For information on Brandon Hall Group’s research and how we can assist your organization, please visit www.brandonhall.com