Many areas of organizational learning and development are much more of an art than a science. For example, companies have been especially challenged in designing programs with the right blend of learning modalities. Despite the progress toward making everything more learner-centric and improving the learning experience, most companies still define blended learning as a mix of classroom and eLearning courses. This approach ends up tipping the scales heavily to formal learning. This presents two challenges right off the bat.
First, this approach completely ignores the Forgetting Curve, which posits that within a matter of days, people forget up to 80% of what they learn in a formal learning setting. Brandon Hall Group’s Learning and Performance Study found that only 18% of companies believe their learning approach is effective or highly effective at mitigating the Forgetting Curve.
Second, the traditional blended approach does not consider the 70/20/10 model, which suggests that only 10% of what people learn comes from formal learning settings. The other 90% comes from informal and experiential learning. Only 36% of companies strongly base their approach to learning on this model.
Companies must do a better job of incorporating a wider variety of learning experiences into their programs, such as deploying spaced learning content. This approach drives learner engagement, increases knowledge retention and positively impacts behavior by making learning more contextual and relevant.
Successful blended learning requires a robust set of tools plus the knowledge and skill to apply them at the appropriate time. Programs should be configured so the different modalities suit the content and needs of the learners. Just 45% of companies say they are doing this today.
Brandon Hall Group Smartchoice Preferred Provider Qstream is a next-gen learning solution completely focused on helping companies deliver the right learning experience to the right people at the right time. They make it easy to provide targeted microlearning in and around formalized experiences, creating a more robust overall experience that is designed around how people learn. To find out more about how they help companies leverage microlearning to improve engagement, compliance, performance and more, discover more about their microlearning overview here.
About Brandon Hall Group Inc.
Brandon Hall Group is the only professional development company that offers data, research, insights and certification to Learning and Talent executives and organizations. The best minds in Human Capital Management (HCM) choose Brandon Hall Group to help them create future-proof employee development plans for the new era.
For over 28 years, we have empowered, recognized and certified excellence in organizations around the world influencing the development of over 10,000,000 employees and executives. Our HCM Excellence Awards was the first to recognize organizations for learning and talent and is the gold standard, known as the “Academy Awards of Human Capital Management.”
Our cloud-based platform delivers evidence-based insights in the areas of Learning and Development, Talent Management, Leadership Development, Diversity and Inclusion, Talent Acquisition and HR/Workforce Management for corporate organizations and HCM solution providers.
To learn more, visit https://www.brandonhall.com
For information on Brandon Hall Group’s research and how we can assist your organization, please visit www.brandonhall.com
We are a human capital management research and advisory firm with more than 10,000 clients globally. For over 27 years, we have been delivering research-based solutions that empower excellence in organizations around the world. Our vision is to inspire a better workplace experience. Becoming a Brandon Hall Group member means our team joins your team. Membership provides a host of resources and services and – most importantly — a seasoned team of thought leaders and client support professionals dedicated to your success.