Contributed to by: Michele Glorie, Kronos Incorporated
CHELMSFORD, Mass., May 9, 2012—Kronos Incorporated today announced financial results, company advancements, and customer successes for the second quarter of Fiscal 2012. Kronos evenues for the quarter increased 6 percent to $208.3 million. Earnings before interest, tax, and amortization (EBITA) increased 13 percent to $54.5 million.1.
“It’s a great time to be at Kronos,” said Aron Ain, Kronos chief executive officer. “We are driving a fundamental shift in how organizations manage their workforce. This transformation is being fueled by a variety of factors such as: next generation workforce management solutions infused with consumer technology; the benefits of cloud computing; and solutions that address highly specific vertical market nuances. The investments that we’re making in these strategic areas – as well as our global and SMB initiatives – are propelling our company’s growth and enhancing our customers’ effectiveness. We have enormous opportunities ahead.”
Second-Quarter News Facts
- Double-digit growth in product bookings – Product bookings for the first half of Fiscal 2012 increased 19 percent, indicating that Kronos continues to gain market share. North American bookings increased 17 percent and international bookings increased a remarkable 43 percent. In addition to strong bookings of its Workforce Central® suite and other software offerings, Kronos is seeing tremendous momentum for its next generation data collection options. Kronos has booked 6,800 units of its new Kronos®InTouch™ time clock since releasing the product in November. The company’s award-winning new user interface, the Navigator, has been shipped to be used by 8.1 million employees. Kronos’ award-winning mobile applications have been licensed to more than 250,000 employees. And its newly released workforce analytics solution is receiving great reviews and generating user excitement. The pace of adoption of these next generation workforce management solutions is exceeding the company’s expectations.
- Continued cloud computing momentum – Adoption of the Kronos Workforce Central cloud offering resulted in a revenue increase of 55 percent year over year, continuing a trend in organizations embracing the company’s strategy to offer SaaS, application hosting, and system management and monitoring services. Kronos cloud offerings are being used successfully at hundreds of organizations around the world and increasing at a very rapid pace.
- Stellar international performance – Significant product wins occurred around the globe including noteworthy customer expansion in Northern and Southern Europe, Mexico, India, and the Middle East. Kronos extended its reach in the Middle East’s healthcare sector by forming a reseller agreement with Health Matrix Corporation. Today Kronos is the only workforce management provider with a true global solution that meets complex work rules as evidenced by successful customer implementations in more than 100 countries where Kronos products are installed.
- Greatly expanded presence in SMB market– Kronos acquired SaaShr, provider of a SaaS workforce management solution for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). As a result of the acquisition, Kronos significantly broadened its product portfolio and gained access to an extensive network of partners and resellers. Through its well-established network of payroll service bureaus, professional employer organizations, human resources outsourcers, and value-added resellers, SaaShr solutions are used in thousands of organizations across a wide variety of industries. Together the companies will revolutionize how SMBs manage their workforce.
- Excellent performance across vertical markets – All Kronos key vertical markets performed well during the quarter, with extraordinary performance in retail and the public sector. Kronos accelerated its healthcare market leadership with the acquisition of OptiLink, one of the leading acuity-based staffing solutions. As a result, Kronos now offers the most advanced, clinically focused workforce management suite designed to help healthcare organizations deliver high-quality patient care.
- Surge in million-dollar orders – In the first half of Fiscal 2012, Kronos closed more million-dollar product orders than it did in the full twelve months of Fiscal 2011. These large transactions included significant orders from new and existing customers including one of the top ten largest discount retailers, a global warehouse retailer, one of the world’s largest consumer products companies, and a nationwide sporting goods retailer with hundreds of locations.
- Hiring employees to support company growth – Kronos now employs more than 3,500 people around the world. The company hired nearly 600 new employees in the past year, currently has more than 200 job openings in a broad range of departments, and is offering employee referral bonuses up to $10,000 to ensure that it hires the most talented workforce possible. Approximately 25 percent of open positions are in Chelmsford, Mass., where Kronos is the largest private employer with more than 1,000 employees.
- In the second quarter of Fiscal 2012, Kronos signed agreements with organizations around the world such as: All Children’s Hospital, a leading center for pediatric treatment, education, and research; American Water, one of the largest water and wastewater utility companies in the U.S.; ARAMARK, a global leader in providing award-winning professional services; Arca Continental SAB de CV, the second-largest Coca-Cola bottler in Latin America; Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, responsible for coordinating public and prívate transportation activities; Blue Ridge HealthCare, Burke County, Morganton and Valdese, North Carolina’s leader in hospital care and medical services; Bradken Australia, a leading supplier of differentiated consumable and capital products to the resources, energy, and freight rail industries; Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi, a multi-specialty hospital under construction in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; City of El Paso, the sixth-largest city in Texas, the county seat of El Paso County, Texas; City of Mesa, the third-largest city in Arizona; City of Salem, located in the Shenandoah Valley between the Alleghany and Blue Ridge Mountains on the Roanoke River; Country Villa Health Services, owner, operator, and manager of 50 healthcare centers in California; Colruyt, a leading company in the Belgian retailing market; Deer Valley Unified School District, located in Phoenix with schools in Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Anthem, and New River; Dick’s Sporting Goods, an authentic full-line sporting goods retailer with 480 Dick’s Sporting Goods stores in 43 states; Dierbergs Markets, employer of 4,000 associates in 23 St. Louis metropolitan area stores; FABRICOM, part of GDF SUEZ Energy Services, an international industrial and services group; Family Dollar, a small-format convenience and value retailer with more than 7,100 stores in rural and urban settings across 44 states; Hillsborough County, the fourth-most populous county in Florida; Jefferson County Board of Education, the second-largest school system in Alabama; Lehigh Hanson, one of the largest construction materials companies in North America and part of the Heidelberg Cement Group; Monterey County, a county in California; Neiman Marcus Group, one of the nation’s leading luxury retailers comprised of the specialty retail stores Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman; Newark Public Schools, a comprehensive community public school district that serves the city of Newark, New Jersey; North Shore-LIJ Health System, the nation’s second-largest non-profit, secular health system, and the ninth-largest employer in the city of New York; Ohio Department of Transportation, operator across 88 counties with more than 5,000 employees; PepsiCo Foods México, a food and snack business; Piedmont HealthCare, one of the largest physician-owned and directed, multi-specialty groups in North Carolina and the Southeast region; PVR Cinemas, one of the leading motion picture exhibitors in India; Saint Mary’s Health Care, a member of the new Mercy Health, and an integrated network of healthcare excellence; Sierra Vista Regional Health Center, a healthcare leader in southeastern Arizona; Sonoco, one of the largest diversified global packaging companies; State of West Virginia, a state in the U.S. Appalachian region; SYKES, provider of customer contact management solutions and services in the business process outsourcing arena; Transportation Safety Administration, protects the nation’s transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce; and Vanderbilt University Medical Center, a comprehensive healthcare facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in workforce management solutions that enable organizations to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Tens of thousands of organizations in 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications. To learn how Kronos uniquely delivers complete automation and high-quality information in an easy-to-use solution, visit www.kronos.com.
© 2012 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos and Workforce Central are registered trademarks and InTouch is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Footnote 1: Revenue excludes purchase accounting adjustments related to the company going private in June 2007, its acquisitions since June 2007, and timing adjustments within Fiscal 2012 quarters. EBITA excludes purchase accounting adjustments; FAS 123R charges; non-recurring unusual charges; and reflects timing adjustments within Fiscal 2012 quarters.